Monday, November 12, 2012

NINETEEN


The mist-things had slid the ground apart quietly above us; as we climbed, we could see the stars, and the hulking shapes of pillars blocking out portions of the sky. One of the mist-things waited very near to the top.

Hold a moment, here. We intended to needle our enemies from another side in soon enough; your coming gives us the opportunity to make that same harassment into a diversion for your benefit.

We held, staring upwards, and heard an echoed sound in the distance. To play a water glass, you wet a finger and run it smoothly around the edge of that glass; the sound we heard was as if a whole orchestra had chosen to change to such instruments, far away. This sound was almost overwhelmed, though, by the snapping and rushing sounds of a thousand sets of wings, as the nightkind took flight above, away to engage their enemy.

We ran, sprinting towards a pillar with several hives hanging from it. As we drew close, I could hear Ray behind me, muttering to himself. He was noting the parts of the pillar we could see, trying to discern from the details which of his patients this might be. Looking back to him, though, I saw wings folding back, stooping down towards us. I drew one of my revolvers, but kept running.

Gina was bringing up the rear. Before I could shout a warning, she saw my expression change, and my hands dropping to my guns. She took her own quick look back. Seeing what she saw, she slid, turned, and stood facing back. I was skidding to a halt, and Ray shot past me, his own eyes still locked on the pillar, with a look of dawning comprehension beginning to cross his face. I had a half-second to realize that my "skid" to a halt had been literal - I had hammered down with my feet, and slid to a stop, tearing the grass under me in a foot-long furrow. Then the things were on us.

I felt pretty badass, you know; I went into that fight with a pair of revolvers and a panther-sized cat, and we accounted for three of the flying things on that pass. Ulla took a a gash to her flank, and I got one on my shoulder, but we did okay.

Gina turned on them bare-handed, and was fumbling with her gear when one of them caught hold of her, lifting her of the ground. She screamed, and spat some bit of gibberish at it... And the air between them writhed, the thing flailed, and hit the ground with an unmistakably metallic noise.

In the moments while the creatures regained height and turned, presumably for another run, Gina stared at the one she'd cursed. She kicked it, heard that odd clanking again, and started to laugh, wild and high, even as a bloodstain spread across her ribs. I was already running to grab her, and I could see Ray, having reached the pillar door, panicking with indecision - sort out an entrance for us, or run back to us?

"GET THE GODDAMN DOOR" I screamed at him, and he nodded, fast; he turned to the pillar and I tuned to Gina, who was standing tall, now watching the things finish their turn.

Seeing me, she said only "Oh, coz, it's the elder tongue", and turned back to watch the things begin their dive, seemingly supreme in her confidence as she stood tall, in the open and waiting.

As the things drove down at us, talons outstretched in anticipation, she began to speak to them. The words she spoke were, in and of themselves, new to me - sounds I can only transcribe as being like P'Taghn, Av'u'u'ckta, and similar novelties. Gibberish in the waking world, certainly, but not there. There, the sounds were electric; they were alive, incandescent. Hearing them clearly, just as she spoke them, was like feeling someone unscrew the top of my head and begin to explore my brain with blazing light and hot irons.

There were perhaps a dozen of the things when they turned to fall on us. By the time they reached us, there were four. The others burnt away in green fire, exploded into strands of milky thread, or simply caved in, imploding into nonexistence. That didn't stop those four from taking their pound of flesh from Gina, though; every one of them left her with some terrible wound as the tore past us. I caught her as she fell, and ran for where Ray was standing in an open door, a girl in a dress beside him.