Wednesday, November 14, 2012

THIRTY-TWO


Clara, Vee, George, and I caught a ride with Kimble. He had spent the evening drafting a new shape for it, and the flying fortress he put together was pretty impressive. While he'd been drafting that, Gina had been sitting with Vee and George talking about fighter jets and other airborne death machines. I was watching them conjure up different versions of these in a hangar bay Kimble had opened up for them. As we made that trip, Ray, Gina, and Joy were roaring point-to-point among the people we'd visited a few days earlier; Ray was picking up a payload to be delivered into Laurent's head.

Gina got back to us just in time for us to see Laurent's fortress rising above the horizon. We called them down, and Ray started transferring his borrowed load of terrible memories to me. It was painful stuff to hold onto, but I'd volunteered. Ray still wasn't all the way healed up in the waking world, and couldn't risk something going wrong in delivery. Clara and I were the best bets for actually going into Laurent's space, and she'd never carried anything tricky before. She might lose track of it and not be able to drag it back out, or any number of other ugly possibilities. I at least had Ulla to help me sort it out if it went bad, though I didn't mention that.

From my starting position in the hangar bay, the start of the fight went very well indeed. Gina, George, and Vee shot out, and went circling arount the fort, hammering at the hives; fires broke out almost immediately, and huge pieces of hive calved away in that first assault. The swarms that had already been moving lazily above, seemingly trying to make sense of our appearance, were caught off guard just as thoroughly. Some of those turned to give chase to the fighters. Others came at the flying fortress.

The ones that came for the fortress came under fire from the phantom squad. I don't know where Kimble got the idea for his guns; they looked like B-Movie science fiction material from the 50s, and they shot bolts of purple lightning. Still, they worked. Kimble himself, and Clara, were working guns of their own – there was one I could potentially have gone to, but I was fiddling with the parachute Clara had made me, looking for my jump. I wanted to hit Laurent's fortress unnoticed in the chaos, if possible.

Look there.

Ulla, on the edge beside me, was looking at one of the walkways linking the hives to Laurent's fortress, where a figure with a trailing cloak and long hair was striding, moving toward the fortress.

Quickly, now.

Ulla jumped up on my shoulders, shrinking down, and I went for it.

I'd never tried skydiving in the waking world; I very much doubt I ever will. I doubt it would be able to measure up to jumping off a floating island in the sky, plummeting down past flocks of diabolical bat-winged humanoids being struck at with bolts of purple lightning, opening my chute, and slowing just enough to tear loose and hit that walkway rolling. Ulla had jumped free as I tore the harness, and hit the walkway at panther size; I had landed with claws and tail all manifest. We sprinted down the walkway, and ahead of us, the figure turned and paused in apparent shock.

It was a version of Laurent – though I couldn't tell if he was lucid or not, and the shock didn't last long. He gestured in the air, drawing one hand around in a crescent arc. Where his hand passed, the air split open like a flap, revealing a space behind the air, flooded with pressing nightkind.

They did not leap out so much as they were forced out by the sheer pressure of bodies in whatever place it was Laurent had opened up a hole to. They caught themselves in the air or against the walkway, and spun to come at me. By the time they turned, Ulla and I were among them, moving and tearing. They tore back. The last twenty feet of the walkway were a gauntlet of cuts, scrapes, and tears. Thought Ulla and I dodged and twisted fairly magnificently, we still shed a good deal of blood. My left leg, especially; a nightkind dug into the back of my thigh and left furrows almost the whole way down to my ankle.

Still, I tackled the version of Laurent just as he was registering that I'd made it through and was opening the little balcony door into his fortress; we tumbled through together. The other side of that door was a rough stone-carved staircase, leading down into some stinking darkness. I recovered my orientation as I tumbled, caught hold of Laurent, and rode his body all the way down, kneeling on his chest. Ulla hit my shoulder, kitten-sized, as we went.

Down at the bottom of the stairs, we crashed through some rotted wood, and into a ruined attic. I could hear his tribe raising an alarm in the house below. As I lay bleeding, listening to them combing the house so that they could cave in my skull, I hurried to empty my pockets of the payload I'd been given. Toys, photographs, a funeral announcement, and other oddments all sent flying. Never mind trying to find good spots to conceal them, at this point; I just didn't want them on me when I died. Everything out, I crawled a little ways away, and began to tie up my wounds. My chances of making it out alive struck me as nonexistent, but at least I could patch up some of the damage so far, maybe give a good account of myself.

As I tied off the banadges I'd wrapped around my leg, something hit the fortress hard enough to shake it. I hoped it wasn't one of us, even as I heard the searchers shouting at each other. The shouts were incoherent, not from distance, but in the same sense that if you listen closely to a 'crowd' onstage during a stage play, you can often hear one of the actors saying 'rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb'. They were the right kinds of noise, but meaningless.

He can only attend to so many things at once. Something is distracting him.

Probably the dead version of himself, and the crash, I considered, as I scanned the ceiling for our point of entry.

There.

Ulla jumped first. I followed, jumping high but not gracefully. It was enough to catch hold of a grubby stone surface, and pull myself up. I heaved myself up onto a flat surface, rolled a little away, and sat up.

To my left, I could make out the shape of the hole I'd climbed up from, and just past that, the stairs I'd rolled down to arrive. On my right, a steep drop-off; I was on a balcony overlooking a cavern. On the cavern floor, a hooded assembly chanted - "Ia! Ia! Ia!", as they scraped in front of a huge bas-relief icon of a nightkind.

This has the marks of a remembered place.

Which meant it was real, in the waking world. The winding stairway and other details might be exagerrated, but the cavern and icon existed. The thought was grotesque, panic-inducing. Mangled leg or no, I crossed the hole with a leap, and fled up the stairs with more speed than I would have guessed I had available to me.

I burst out the door at the top of those stairs and onto the walkway just in time to see the hive at the far end of the walk collapse in flames. The tear in space Laurent had made was sealed over, and the nightkind that had spilled from it were already gone.

I walked down the walkway with a limp, and sat on the rail about halfway down, until Vee spotted me and made pickup. There were still enemies, hives; a fight we could keep going. The job was done, though; I yelled at her to signal a withdrawal.