Tuesday, November 13, 2012

TWENTY-SEVEN

The plan, Gina explained, was to test out a theory she had. Ray had his "guest" tribe members from people that had trusted him, and were trying to help him. If, instead, we visited people who had been hurt by Laurent, picked up some truly awful stuff from them, and dropped it into Laurent's head? Chances seemed good he'd end up in psychiatric care sooner rather than later. And once he was in such a place, we could proceed to do, well, whatever we needed, to learn his secrets and find a way to end the blackmail, while he slept. Desperate times, terrible cult to stop, skin on our own backs to save, et cetera.

I kind of expected Ray to raise a fuss at this, but he'd done the research. As we sat around ramping down, stretching out, Ray gave us a catalog of the damaged; of people hurt. Overdosed parents. Shootings. People hooked and strung out for years. Half an hour like that, with two or three minutes to a case. I'd like to say that it gave me great insight on how humanity, on how heroism, salvation, justice, and revenge all tie together, but it didn't, really. It just changed what I was worried about, a little.

The days when I would have raised a fuss myself were behind us, mostly. Laurent could burn.

As he talked, I noticed something, and stopped him part way through to ask "Wait, these are all people who were damaged by drug trafficking, or by Laurent's gang, when they were young. Or they're still young. What's up with that?"

Ray paused a moment, and then "We don't want to empower him. If we feed him hate and rage that he can direct outwards, he might do a lot of damage before he gets locked up. What we want is to pile on self-blame, inward-turning anger, that kind of thing."

I felt my face twitch, just a little "And we're all cool with doing that to him?"

Ray, sitting in his recliner, leaned out a little and looked at me. His eyes weren't angry; they were sad. "Ben. Who does all that pain really belong with? Who deserves it, almost by definition?"

Not quite convinced, I came back with "So it's justice."

"Yes." Certain, sure.

I looked over at Gina.

"I already had this chat with him. But tonight we're just laying out the map; tomorrow we give Clara some training and do exercises, and maybe a few others, too, if we catch any in the net. After that, we'll see. Maybe we'll get a better idea in the next couple of days."

I wasn't counting on it. But nice, light scouting. That'd do for tonight; it wasn't like Ray was fully up to speed; my own bruises hadn't even faded all that far, and they weren't even a patch on his.

Ray spent a few minutes breathing smoke, and we all settled in.

...

Ulla called me into lucidity before Ray could find me, and we spent some time – just an hour or two, subjectively – in training. Then, a knock on the doors, and out I went.

Ray was standing in a tux and tails, looking pretty dapper, against a background of spotlights, shining down. Stepping out, and shading my eyes, I got a eyeful of Gina's ride – a gun-laden zeppelin. Ray's phantom crew stood at stations, and nodded to us as we went past.

I felt a little under-dressed in my black cargo pants and armored vest. Getting the feel and solidity of body armor down to the point where I felt like I could trust it had been important, though; I wasn't going to discard that just to match the tone.

We climbed up the dangling ladder, and were off.