Thursday, November 15, 2012

THIRTY-FIVE


As I walked, it seemed like I was passing the few visible trail markers much faster on the way back. But, at the same time, the cluster of pillars I had just left wasn't falling behind me very quickly. I exchanged looks with Ulla, but she didn't seem to have any thoughts on the matter. Then, as our "home neighborhood" of pillars came into view, it became more obvious. The pillars were moving; the distance between the comatose and the dreamers was being collapsed.

A shining cobalt blue pathway surfaced out of the grass under me, and I caught myself laughing as I watched all the pillars glide, rumbling as they went, into a pair of concentric circles – inner and outer. It seemed as if there were more pillars now, as well, and not just adding Kimble, and many of the pillars had taken on blue and silver panels, wide crystal arches, and long pennants.

Moment by moment, a city grew, tall and gleaming, with a flying palace at its center, and wide blue roads; with zeppelins and shining lights. And then, finally, with a handful of people, in the courtyard at the heart of it. I started to jog towards them.

Vee spotted me, almost immediately and started whooping to get everyone to look, then pointing at me. I could just hear her comment "I win at searching. Forever."

Gina and Ray came walking over; Gina grabbed me and hugged me. "Damn, coz. Where are you, in the waking world? Were you taken?"

"Yeah. Bad news. Laurent held it together long enough to have me kidnapped. He, uh, kind of shot me a few times. I'm dead, in the waking world."

She just stared at me, running that around in her brain. The she screamed "I'LL KILL HIM THAT MOTHERFUCKER. I'LL RIP HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF!"

"He's, uh, he's dead, too. I got him. How about we all sit for a bit, and talk? I've got a bit of a story to tell you."

We both do. Yes, Ben, they can hear me now, too; don't look at me like that. Trying to keep my presence a secret will just end up confusing everyone.

Ulla and I proceeded to gather everyone around, and told them the story – this story, more or less. Our telling was much shorter than I have attempted here, but left out a lot of detail. Our audience was more or less stunned into silence, which made it hard to tell if I was doing a good job or not. That's a risk you take when you share your stage with a telepathic cat totem, I suppose.

I ended with a summary of what we knew was happening at home. Kingsport was home to a cult, which paid homage to a terrible master. That cult was involved in not only the drug trade, but in poisoning the parts of that trade as a way of making sacrifices to their master. They practiced rituals that called up things out of nightmares, and set them into possession of people – likely, with the goal of breeding them. Sooner or later, the cult would come for all of them, as it had come for me. They could scatter to the winds, or they could fight.

The obvious question came back "How do we fight that?"

"Dayside? I'd say, as unfairly as possible. Like, try to get some explosives, and cave in their... uh, their cave." I replied. "But I'm not going to be there; I can't exactly pitch in."

It was Joy who spoke up with "I have a whole lot of fertilizer in my shed. I bought it on sale. That's what you need to make a bomb, right? Diesel and fertilizer?"

Most of the group looked at her as if she'd gone completely crazy, but George returned with "It might not be the right kind, though. I think you need a certain kind of fertilizer. I'm sure we can find out how to do it from the internet, though."

When everyone turned their shocked looks on him, then, George just shrugged "If you had lived in this town as long as I have, you'd say the same. Kingsport has a rot that lives in it, deep down; you get to know that after a few years, and either you move away, or just learn to live with hating it, because what else are you going to do? Well, these young people found its name and address; I'm quite willing to help knock its door down."

If you do this, even if you are careful, and are not seen or found in the waking world... Kether-Kinal will search for you here. And it will find you, in time; there are way of searching that target what you remember, what you feel, what you know; it will find you. You must prepare here, as well as there.

That was easier to accept, it seemed; here, they were powerful. There, they were nothing special.

The conversation went on and off for a couple of hours; eventually, the plan emerged. Ulla would scout the graveyard, using her various cats, sniffing out the entrance. George, Joy, Clara, and Ray were on bomb-building detail. Gina, Vee, and Kimble would keep up the recruiting. Everyone would sleep at the shop most nights, everyone would plant up their own poppy garden; odd hours for sleeping were welcome, since I could use the company.

They spent five days preparing, training, recruiting, and concocting. They waited for my my body to be found all that time; it wasn't. There were moments where they thought the cult must have found them, and they all sat on edge for a few of those days. But I was elsewhere, at the time, doing other work, on another timescale.