Thursday, November 15, 2012

THIRTY-FOUR


I had a week to burn, in subjective time, before the whole crew showed up. Which was good, really. Every few hours, another side, detail, minor realization, of what had happened to me would break loose. I'd end up sitting on a hillside, lost in reverie over the existence I'd lost, and the one I'd gained. It took a while for me to actually come to terms with the facts. I was dead. Existence went on.

In the meantime, I practised calling up roads. Even the crappiest would do, but I did need to learn to navigate for myself. Ulla could find some places with absolute certainly, she said – those she had marked in the past, and places corresponding to one of her (and now my) dreamer-selves. But just those; she had no ability to dowse out new places.

So I practiced, and slowly got enough of a handle on it to pull together faint pathways – though they would vanish again if I lost my focus on the target. Then Ulla and I went off to see the cluster of towers where we'd fought our first battle; Mrs. Krenski, Patricia Malkin, and company. We spent a few days in the ruins of Louisa Calhoun, who had been crashed into her coma by an hefty dose of tainted morphine.

It had been a shot in the dark, but it paid out. Louisa had been an inductee into the cult; I wandered through her memories of meeting them through her father. Watched the scenes play out, over and over. They may have been regrets; certainly, Louisa hadn't let go of these moments. Some of the scenes were funny, to me; ridiculous mummery and pageantry pretending to be sacred ritual. Others weren't; a few of the rituals had the 'smell' of dreamland logic, but didn't appear to have any effect – at least, none Louisa recalled. In the social events around these rituals, she also remembered how there had been a fair bit of guffawing about how Louisa had a name "like a nigger-blood", and it was good she wasn't one, which baffled me. Racism wasn't something I would have expected from people ready to traffic with inhuman things from dreams. Ulla clarified, when she noticed my confused disgust.

Cultists, and those that fight them, are often concerned with purity of breeding, Benjamin.

"That's idiotic. Why?"

Their choice of targets is foolish, but the reason cults are often especially concerned regards possession. Those who are possessed often sire or bear children that grow strange as they grow older. Many family curses derive from it.

"So, what? There are people out there that grow horns when they come of age, like that?"

Yes. Precisely like that, among other things. Dark skin, though, is irrelevant, unless it passes outside the human range; their fixation on it distracts them from real dangers. This particular cult should be looking for bulging eyes, wattled skin. Look there, at the one with the knife.

I walked through the half-transluscent scene, to look closely at a pale and balding, sickly looking man waving a ritual dagger.

He is descended from Dagonites. It is a known heritage in your part of the world.

"How can we not know about this? Science, I mean. Why no record?"

Some of the thinned-out heritages are known to humanity at large, as disorders and failures. Others, not long after they manifest, draw the holders out of the world. Still other alterations are visible and tangible only to the initiated.

"Visible and tangible... So, someone might have horns, that are there in the waking world, but only dreamers will see them and feel them?"

Yes, again. You broke through into that same state yourself, at the end, if you recall.

"Damn. Yeah. Still, why are you telling me this? I mean, it's some fascinating shit, but.... Are we just making idle conversation?"

The parts of ritual that we have seen here, which the cult seems to understand, are parts which invite possession. They own a vast underground ritual space. Their leader is "the Keeper"; what does this leader Keep, and why would such a leader not be invited to witness your execution? It seems likely enough to me that Kether-Kinal has attempted to create such beings, and possible that their Keeper is one of them. The pattern is not unknown.

"Well, that's just amazingly nasty. We couldn't have figured this out while I still had a body?"

Evidently not. What would you have done, embodied, with such knowledge?

"I dunno; figure out how to make a bomb, and cave their roof in on them?"

You could tell your allies to do so. They would be very likely to do exactly as you suggest, I believe.

I thought about it, as we continued to wind our way through Louisa Calhoun, though I was more interested in the puzzle of how she had ended. What I couldn't find, in her memories, was some explanation of why they'd decided to drug her up. She'd accepted the basics of the cult – the idea that there were many gods, and that some gave real benefits, while others didn't. By dedicating herself to Kether-Kinal, she'd become part of a grand family. And on and on. And then, they poisoned her. It didn't seem to make any sense.

"Yeah, I'd be in favor of the bastards getting a bomb. I mean, I'd rather plant claws into them. I'll take what I can get, though."

If your allies destroy this project, Kether-Kinal will come for them, and for you, even here. You will have a fight on your hands. Your allies have one coming, regardless; your mysteries and those of the cult cannot both exist and grow in the same town forever. Additionally, if Laurent has a capable successor, they will very likely seek out Gina and Raymond, and kill them as well, in the nights to come; they are your known confederates.

I should say plainly, as well; I can only have a single bonded companion. And while you are now much harder to kill here, and will heal rapidly, death here is now death forever, for you.

Great.

It was time to get back to everyone's pillars, though.