Monday, November 12, 2012

TWENTY-THREE

The Hebrew mystical tradition of Kabbalah includes a diagram called the 'tree of life', made of of little circles. In this visualization of the mystical universe, each circle represents a sort of sphere of action, or something like that. Gina explained it, rapid-fire, as she started up the jeep and took us up the hill. I didn't quite follow it, to be honest.

One of the heavy fellows had a tattoo. It was a tattoo of that diagram, with something that looked like a black crown of thorns hovering over it, and a single circle blacked out – the 'top' circle of the diagram. The name of that circle, she said, is Kether.

And the nightkind served Kether-Kinal, the crown of midnight.

"So, what does that mean? I mean, absolutely, I get the connection. I don't think it's some amazing coincidence. But... what does it mean, exactly?"

"Educated guess? Ambrose and his boys are a cult, and they worship Kether-Kinal."

"Right. Makes sense. So, how does that connect to the hives we kicked the crap out of?"

"Dunno. But you want to place a bet that they aren't connected, somewhere, coz?"

"I'll keep my money, thanks. Also, speaking of money, new kinds of ick on the money we just got."

"Yeah. Just like that."

"Also, speaking of ick, how much do you think Ray knows about what they really believe?"

"Educated guess, again? A big stack of lies. Most cults built around the horrible stuff are mystery cults; the further in you get, the more of the truth they tell you. But I'll ask. Tonight."

I stayed quiet, and the street rolled by, taking us back to the apartment. There, I pulled out a full dose for Gina... And half a dose, for myself.

"Looking for a little solo lucid time, coz?"

"A little. Thought you and Ray might want some time, too. Come find me, the both of you, after a bit. Or we can talk in the morning, if you want the night."

"Decent of you. But what about your dosage numbers?"

"It's your night anyway, so that's fine. And whatever we get from me is going to be wild information, anyway, you know? I can live with it being pretty off-kilter."

"Good enough, then. Let's crash."